Monday, March 12, 2012
I Can't Seem To Get Hooked...
Reading slumps. Ever had one?
My schedule has been insane the last while. I've blogged about that before, so I'll spare you the details. That's not the problem, or at least I am guessing it isn't, at this point. I seem to be going through a massive reading slump of epic proportions. What are the symptoms?
Nothing I read sticks: I start a book and read for a bit, but I am not really retaining it, clicking with the characters, etc. I'm not being drawn in and 'leaving my chair' the way that normally happens. I do not actually feel that this is the fault of the books I am reading because I have tried several.
Lack of attention span and motivation: I have hundreds of books here, a great many of which are ones that I bought because I am dying to read them... Some are sequels like Tiger's Quest, The Iron Daughter, Lenobia's Vow (which is a spin off novella, but still...), and some are new books I've been dying to read like Shatter Me, Across the Universe or The Summer I Turned Pretty. Yet I feel almost asleep in a way.
Pressure build up: If I am not reading, I am not really blogging. That annoys me. I like blogging. While I do have things to talk about, like my thoughts on the TERA beta, my rage at the ending for Mass Effect 3 and my progress for Moon Dance, I Write, I Read, I Review is suppose to be a book blog, which means that at least 50% of it's content is suppose to be book focused. (And generally I try to keep that average a lot higher).
I suppose that the best way to find a solution for this is to figure out what is causing it. If it is simply pressure build up, then I need to realize the world will not end if I don't have a review scheduled every Tuesday and Thursday. (In my perfect blogging world, that would always happen.) I also need to access whether I am reading for pleasure or reading for my blog, because if I have stepped into doing the latter that could be a real problem. I suppose, also, the truth might simply be that I've been too busy, or that since I am in the middle of huge revisions for Moon Dance that is eating up my 'book time' and focus. (One thing I am noticing when I try to read something is that in the back of my head I am going "You are stalling! You could be getting editing done!")
Here are some ideas I have come up with as possible solutions:
(1) Let it sort itself out naturally. I love books, so it's not like I am never going to read again.
(2) Sort out my library and go through all the books I have as if I am in a book store, waiting until one of them jumps out at me with the "read me now!" factor that undoubtedly got me to buy it in the first place.
(3) Don't push myself to read and place my focus on this round of Moon Dance revision so that is a weight off my shoulders, and then (I am hoping!) get back to enjoying reading once I have that out with betas.
(4) Push through the pain. Everything I was doing -- TERA, the singing contest, revisions, ME3, etc. really messed up my reading schedule. If there is anything I know about me and reading / writing it's that it's like exercise. If you suddenly stop doing it every day and have to reform the habit, it can be a real pain.
(5) Go back and read an old favorite, purely for enjoyment, and see if that breaks the cycle. For me, the characters in books that I love are truly alive and while I don't go back as much as I use to (way too busy with the blog!) I do enjoy reading through something I love more then once every now and then.
So, I am wondering if something like this has ever happened to any of you. What did you do about it?